Sunday, January 18, 2009

on the way back...

the day at the airport felt like 5, but i think all in all i handled moving back better than i thought. i know i'm not really cool enough to describe my day at the airport, but i'm going to do it anyway... it started pretty early in the morning.

5:05 a.m. i arrive at the DFW airport. i'm tired.

5:11 a.m. i hug my family who drove over 3 hours to see me off. my sister looked pretty tired due to some 3-a-days for softball. i get in line behind 8 people who had no idea they would have to pay for their extra luggage.

5:19 im still in line.

5:23 i check my bags and small talk with the family, which is almost awkward because its hard to talk normally when i know i'm not going to see them for at least 5-6 months maybe more. my stomach's starting to hurt a bit...

5:40 i hug everyone's neck at least 3 times telling them all bye and i love them. my dad prays for me while i'm hugging him. i hate saying the good byes but i hold it together. i hate it a lot.

5:43 i buy a starbucks coffee and my favorite magazine, "outside" to soothe some serious discontent. this is easily the hardest 2 minutes in the past month or two.

5:48 i notice i've been upgraded to first class to houston because i'm now an "elite status flyer." i'm proud of myself for a moment and then realize its because i've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours in the sitting position with my knees touching the seat in front of me. now i don't feel so proud of this title.

5:51 being an elite customer feels like being called "assistant to the regional manager."

6:00 a.m. i board and read "outside."

7:38 a.m. we land in houston.

7:42 i notice the couple behind me flew with three girls. all cute. all under 4 years old. anyone who flies with children is my hero. they were so patient and so fun the entire flight.

7:42:30 one girl begins to pout and im immediately glad i have no kids.

8:00 a.m. the people watching begins with the t-shirt tucked in very tightly to his jeans guy. i almost laugh out loud.

8:12 i debate whether of not to buy "the economist" magazine to catch up on global issues.

8:31 after a breakfast of chocolate milk and eggs i realize though i'm tired of flying, i never grow tired of airports. they are so alive and moving and intresting. they are like strange waiting rooms or something where everyone is there but hardly anyone is present. so strange...

8:45 i decide to try to lose 12 pounds.

8:46 i see cinnibon and forget what i was just thinking about.

8:50 i buy the economist and then board the airplane.

3 comments:

Alicia Bernadette said...

this entry made me sad. because of the goodbyes. but, then the mention mr. shirttuckedtightlyinjeansman made me laugh out loud. (there are no spaces there, b/c i think it sounds better said very quickly, as if it's one word).

Kirk said...

Of all the wonder of this post. I love your dad.

Divemonkey said...

I'm waiting for part 2..."What's Alive In My Apartment" :D