Sunday, August 24, 2008

blisters

i now have four blisters on my feet. four. they hurt alot, but i may just be thankful for them...

i took my bike out for a ride this morning hoping to ride 15-20 miles (im still too new to ride farther) but noticed a problem about 3.5 miles from the house. i strated noticing it was a little difficult to pedal. i went to a higher gear, but it didn't help as much as it usually does. then i heard it... click click click click... i had a flat tire. i had to walk my bike back 3.5 miles. as i was walking i got really worried i would wear out my shoes (you aren't supposed to walk in them at all really) and ruin the part of the shoe that clilps into the pedals.

so i took off my shoes and walked barefoot.

the sidewalks and roads are hot in guam.

3.5 miles.

before my feet started to hurt i prayed a little for the college students and the ministry starting here in guam. i really think we'll be recognized by the university very soon. we have a few more than the 10 people we need if everyone shows up at the same time. but as my feet started to hurt my mind shifted to other things.

as i walked i remembered a few pelple i've met who don't own shoes. in swaziland i met four little girls living in a one room orphanage with about 25 other kids. i think they were 9 years old. i walked up to their orphanage as they were arriving back from the river 4 miles away. each little girl had a 5 gallon jug of water on her head or under her arm for the kids that day. they walked 8 miles every single morning without shoes. i met phumzille at the dream center in durban. she didn't wear shoes because aids hurt her feet too badly. in brazil along the amazon i met an entire team of soccer (futball) players without shoes. they didn't have shoes, generators in their village, toothbrushes... but they did have infections, worms, river water to drink, and a good time beating the pants off us in soccer. about half the kids in a little school outside durban didn't wear shoes, but it didn't stop them from attacking me while we played red light green light. and i remember a homeless man in abilene i met my first year in college. he didn't have shoes in the most religious town in the bible belt.

i don't remember the last time i gave a pair of shoes away. im ashamed that i don't remember. i don't know if ive ever bought a NEW pair of shoes for a kid. i remember imploring others to do that kind of thing, and i remember my roomate daniel buying shoes for kids in college. i also remember being angry in peru when i found out people send their old worn out shoes to the orphanage rather than sending shoes they would want on their american children... but me buying the shoe, i don't know. and as i walked along the sidewalk my heart started hurting more than my feet. i know it isn't wrong for me to have shoes. and i think its good to wear them if you have them... but it was nice and painful to remember connections with people without shoes today. and its even nice to have four blisters to remind me to "seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly before God."

5 comments:

Kirk said...

Goodness, that was a beautiful piece of writing my friend. I can only dream of experiencing some of things you have. What an investment God has made in you through your travels. Oh and sorry about your feet.

B. Simp said...

you just made me cry a little bit...i love you and hate you at the same time. My heart says love, but my pride says hate! not really, i enjoyed you recalling your adventures

austin said...

thanks guys. guam college students will definately be doing a shoe drive or something in the near future. im thinking a toms shoes painting party for kids in the area. we'll see.

JW said...

Austin - isn't it easy to take what he have for granted? On a sappy tangent this kinda reminds me of that Christmas song that always makes me cry like a little school girl:


It was almost Christmas time
There I stood in another line
Trying to buy that last gift or two
I'm really in the Christmas mood
Standing right in front of me
Was a little boy waiting anxiously
Pacing around like little boys do
And in his hands he held
A pair of shoes

And his clothes were worn and old
He was dirty from head to toe
And when it came his time to pay
I couldn't believe what I heard him say

Sir I wanna buy these shoes for my Momma please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry Sir?
Daddy says there's not much time
You see, she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes will make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful
If Momma meets Jesus, tonight.

They counted pennies for what seem like years
And cashier says son there's not enough here
He searches is pockets franticly
And he turned and he looked at me
And he said Momma made Christmas good at our house
Most years she just did without
Tell me Sir
What am I gonna do?
Some how I’ve got to buy her these Christmas shoes

So I layed the money down
I just had to help him out
And I'll never forget
The look on his face
When he said Momma's gonna look so great.

Sir I wanna buy these shoes, for my Momma please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry Sir?
Daddy says there's not much time
You see, she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes will make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful,
If Momma meets Jesus tonight.

I knew I caught a glimpse of heavens love as he thanked me and ran out.
I know that God had sent that little boy to remind me
What Christmas is all about

Sir I wanna buy these shoes for my Momma please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry Sir?
Daddy says there's not much time
You see she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes will make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful
If Momma meets Jesus tonight

I want her to look beautiful
If Momma meets Jesus tonight

Gordon said...

Isn’t it cool how God speaks to us through trials? And how he speaks so often of feet? For instances, In Luke 8:35 we find the man referred to as legend sitting at the feet of Jesus clothed in his right mind after he had been delivered from the many demons.
In John 12:3 Mary took a pound of expensive ointment made from pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair.
In John 13 Jesus washes his disciple’s feet
As I read your blog tonight I was reminded of Romans 10:15 as it relates to what you are doing in Guam. How will they know Jesus unless you preach? And how beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!
Rom 10:15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!"

That’s you Austin. You are the preacher in this text. Keep up the good work in Guam buddy!