Sunday, October 26, 2008

quote of the month 2

Thanks to my friend Alicia hounding me about her favorite book 8 months ago, I’m finally reading “on the road.” Her and her dad swear by the book, so I thought I’d give it a chance. So far I’m intrigued. A few pages in Kerouac sucked me in with this quote…

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes ‘Awww!’ ”

I love it. I can’t help but think of other quotes from authors begging not their readers, but their own selves to live. And I think of Jesus offering “life that is truly life” to the downtrodden, disadvantaged, depressed, and despised of his day. I’m sure to them his life looked much like a “fabulous yellow roman candle exploding like spiders across the stars.” Thanks to Mr. Kerouac for an encouraging quote this weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that by far is one of the best quotes in the book. it's illustration is great.

and: hounding? i'd like to think of it more like, forceful recommendation!

austin said...

hahahaha!! whatever you say alicia. whatever you say. tell your dad i love the book.